Actor Varun Pruthi – Saint or Sinner? Loy Machedo’s Analysis
Actor Varun Pruthi is an Actor, Director, Producer and Dancer who makes money creating videos where he showcases problems in India while giving subtle messages of him being the poster boy of goodness, greatness and graciousness.
So what is my opinion about these so-called awareness videos by Actor Varun Pruthi ?
In as much I have to tip my hat to the guy for managing to get over 1.2 million subscribers and over 10 million views per video – This is not my style of working simply because of the following reasons:
- The whole concept is patronizing a guy as a Savior & good guy. Having someone flex his muscles, looks absolutely perfect with chocolate boy looks and then ensure he is there giving a $7 bill to a person suffering on the street – while the entire Production Crew intelligently positions themselves at various angels to capture the entire footage IS NOT DONE OUT OF RANDOMNESS. But rather a well calculated, well played out and well researched strategy. In fact – what people do not know or do not get to see is the makeup session that actors have to go through before a shot or take. So you seriously expect me to believe – this man is doing this for charity? It is like me taking $1 dollar bill and taking a picture of it and posting on Facebook to let everyone in the world know – “Guys I am helping this poor person – please like and share this picture so that it goes viral and everyone knows – I am a nice guy.”
- Had this act been done in the USA – the beggar or poor person would have sued the company for defamation or using someone else’s name in exchange for millions. The problem is most Indian people are not even aware of what is going on. And worse of all – there is no such law that protects the poor of others taking advantage of their poverty.
- If you really wanted to do charity – would you advertise it for everyone to see?
- The self-respect of these poor people, the poverty and suffering of these individuals is being taken advantage of for the Publicity of the Actor
- What people don’t seem to notice is that HE IS AN ACTOR and that HE IS ACTING. If he really wanted to dedicate his life to the poor – he wouldn’t be filming himself helping the poor.
- The money he makes from his talks, the videos on youtube and fame – he is using to fund his business, benefit his brand and benefit himself. This is not being done for Charity.
- I am not comfortable with the Actor wanting to position himself as a Poster boy for goodness by taking advantage of a Poor person by giving them 500 Rupees. What the poor person doesn’t know is that WITHOUT their permission they are being advertised for some other company & brand’s benefit. And even if they are being informed – there is no way in the world that the Poor person knows that what amount of money, publicity and fame the Actor is getting on their image. Do you seriously think any person – poor or rich – would keep quiet knowing that their name & Self-respect is being used to benefit someone else – that too to make millions of Rupees?
- We see Actor Varun Pruthi doing only good. How about seeing the other sides to his personality – for instance –
Does he smoke?
Does he drink?
Does he have a girl-friend?
Has he had sex without getting married?
Does he watch porn?
His 6 pack abs and his streamlined body – does he do it with the help of any ‘extra’ help or is he natural?
And lets for a moment assume all these answers were put out for the world to see – then would he still be accepted as the poster boy for goodness?
Actor Varun Pruthi – Saint or Sinner? – A Conclusion
I have nothing against Actor Varun Pruthi. He has found his niche is making these engaging youtube videos where he gets millions of views. However, I am not comfortable with his style of patronizing himself as the posterboy or Savior of the Masses as a Saint – while not being that person in reality. I seriously doubt he goes from pillar to post helping the poor when the camera is off.
Let us all be honest for minute here – What Actor Varun Pruthi is doing here is Business. Not Charity. And when it comes to money being involved – there is no saint, there is no charity and there is no ‘holy person’. Everyone has skeletons in their closet. And I think if and when this does get exposed to the world Actor Varun Pruthi has much more to lose than gain.
I just hope for Actor Varun Pruthi’s sake that he is doing whatever he is doing with a clear-cut agenda and very clear public communication. Because the day the shit hits the ceiling – well – its will be someone else handing him a $7 bill and recording this charitable act for theworld to see.
If you wish to get in touch with me firstname.lastname@example.org