When you see a trailer as amazing, spectacular and mind boggling as The Mummy (2017) starring heavy weights like Tom Cruise, Russell Crowe and the very attractive Sofia Boutella you at least have an ounce of hope that, yes, this movie will be really good.
After watching the trailer, my anticipation for the movie was a little high….
And then when I watched the behind the scenes featurette…. I was totally excited!
And so my expectations for this movie we also pretty positive
And so, I was like – yes, this is going to be a great movie.
I went to the movie theater….and then… it all went downhill from the minute the movie started.
What is good about this movie?
- The Mummy is a sexy girl this time (yipee!)
- Action sequences are superb
- Production Design is totally out of the world
What made this movie so horrible?
- There have been too many too many Mummy movies already.
- The cliche mummy monster is there
- The cliche monster’s face in the sand is there
- The curse is also there
- The screenplay is a disaster (written by 6 people!!! – can you believe this?)
- There is no congruency and smooth flow
- The plot was totally predictable.
- The ending was terrible
- It felt like Raiders of the Lost Ark + Cabin in the Woods + Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde + Men in Black + The Mummy + Mission Impossible all meshed together as one
- What really sucked was the humor – which was so explicit, so terrible and so cringeworthy – it actually ruined the movie and distracted the viewer from the movie
So now the moment of truth – What do I think of this movie?
The movie vehemently sucks and sucks big time. It is by far among the WORST Tom Cruise movies I have watched. It was so terrible, I actually was reading another book while the movie was playing. And I just hoped and wished for the movie to end so that I could continue with my work.
LOY MACHEDO’S OVERALL RATING
2 out of 10.
Just watch the action scenes only. The rest don’t bother.
Mummy !?!? Loy Machedo’s Movie Review: The Mummy (2017)